Wednesday, December 27, 2006

race #1

Dear diary… today I raced my first European race, and lets just say it was filled with intense nerves and emotion…hahahha… well it was probably the craziest race I have ever done. I have never been surrounded by so many people that wanted to race there bikes. Along with the huge amount of fans that were pumped to cheer for anyone in spandex.

I was warming up on my trainer while Neil was helping me get ready for my first World Cup Cyclocross event and people would just stop and watch you. I would look to my left and to my right, up and down the parking lot and people would surround you asking for trading cards. It’s like I was a hockey player back in Canada. Every athlete was getting this treatment so it was pretty cool!

The race on the other hand didn’t go the way I wanted, but under the circumstances I battled for every inch I could get. It was interesting racing another person’s bike, spandex and helmet. I had an amazing call up, a great start but I collapsed after that. I just couldn’t hold the world cup pace. It was fast, hard and crazy intense. I got lapped on lap five out of 7…not bad for my first experience but I want a lot better, and know I can do better. There is no time to be negative; I pulled a lot out of the race, which I will use on Jan 27th, World Championships.

On a another good note my luggage arrived today so I have all my clothes and bikes,
That’s a good thing because now I can train and be clean! I guess Christmas came a day late for me. Better now then never!
me making out with my bags...it was a good day!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job. Sounds exciting. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

good job on your first race, i am sure it will get better!!!

And good to hear your stuff made it there, better late then never eh!!!

Good Luck in your next race!!

Fitz!

Anonymous said...

good show

mATT

Anonymous said...

I wish I was that bag.

- Veronica

Anonymous said...

I also wish i was that bag. Dang. Congrats, sound like a grand ol time.

Anonymous said...

congrats big guy i hope that spandex was clean jk haha i new i should have made u some trading cards "smack in forehead" good luck in the next race
ps glad all your stuff is there merry "late" christmas
haydn

Anonymous said...

Good Luck over there KD

Steve & Heather