Sunday, December 31, 2006

Race Report!


Race # 2

Today was my second race in Europe and the last day in 2006! Racing here is super cool, over 5000 spectators watching and cheering you on every slip and every attack! My day was a lot better then my prior race (Dec 26th World Cup) for one I had my own equipment, and a few more days on the bike! The day had an overall positive outcome but as an athlete you always strive for better. I ended up 51st out of 70ish racers which on paper doesn’t look to promising but I pulled out a lot of positives from the race.

The course started with a slight 75meter climb, hung a left down a street of cobbles and right in to a gravel right hand corner, very sketchy. It zipped along a grass section and right in to a long mud pit. After the mud pit was a set of stairs and back on to the pavement, with a high speed right hand corner in to a wooden ramp downhill! After the ramp the course followed along to Pit #1. It was an interesting pit because it was 6-8 inches deep of mud. Then you would scoot along a football field, do a few turns and back out on to a road climb that shortly changed in to a grass/mud climb. Then it went along a village road climb that winded up and around the town to an upper soccer field. The soccer field had barriers and pit #2, a good resting area! Then you would fly down another road section in to a set of S turns on this grass section. That is pretty much the lap.

The course suited me somewhat, the road section killed me, the euros can move on it. I was able to dangle in the twists and turns and put some space on everyone but would loose a lot of time on the pavement sections! Other then that I just tried to push the big gear and be as quick as I could! I had somewhat of a handicap from the get go, I was the last person called up. No joke last name on the list. I tried not to let it rattle me, I just knew I would have to shake and bake to move up and with style I did my best. I got as far as 40th by the mid way point of the first lap, it would cost me later. Around lap 4 I was hurting from the big effort to move up and I moved back fast. A train of 4 went by me then another train of 3. I tried to dig deep and push it with them, but just couldn’t make the legs go faster. Few other got me while I was trying to block the pain. I would have to say my first and last laps were the best! On the last lap I got within range of the train of 3 in front of me and closed it to 10seconds, but that’s the far as I would get!

I finished the race a little bit raged but then quickly cooled off, realizing I learned a lot about what I have to do to get my legs going for January 27th! Let the games begin!
My new kit, got to love the red and white!!!
All my equipment!!! 2 bikes, 6 wheels, 1 pump, 3 bags, and a was bucket!

Pre race pesto pasta and a little JJJJJJ...Jenga!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job KD....the legs will come and Lawson has one message for you.....GO UNCLE GO!!! GO UNCLE GO!!! Way to go buddy and keep working hard it will pay off!!!The older bro. and family.

Anonymous said...

Way to go KD. You rock at anything you do. Maw

Anonymous said...

Great job. Good luck with the training for the 27th. We are all thinking of you. As Maw say, you rock. Luv ya, miss ya. Auntie L

Anonymous said...

Kit looks wicked! Keep the rubber side down. CH

Anonymous said...

way to go man thats sounds like a strong finish which is good the red and white looks great on you keep up the good work, oh ya happy new years

haydn
ps man the party rocked haha

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kyle.
I have been to Tara's blog too. You guys are very funny.
Good luck to all of you on the 27th!