Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Doug Kybo- war of the worlds


War of the Worlds!

Wow my cyclocross season has come to a finish. I did the time, I put in the effort and I raced the race of all races. I am happy with my performance at Worlds but not satisfied. The best way to describe it is when you see a nice croissant and your taste buds go wild but then you bite in to it expecting a burst of flavor, but rather you get the flavor of a piece of cardboard.

The start was hectic, right off the gun the guy beside me crashed taking out another guy causing the whole back of the field to slow. I dashed left and then dashed right trying to find my way through the riders. The whole first lap all I could taste was blood. I was going so hard I was getting dizzy. It is World Championships I was thinking, now or never, feel the pain now live the rest of your life a champion, die or do something, go balls deep! Pretty much flashbacks of every movie quote came in to my head. I put my head down and hammered. I was in a group with 2 Americans and 1 Canadian. One lap passed and I found myself falling off the wheel of the group. I just couldn’t hold the pace. The next 2 laps were hell; I swear I was riding backwards. Lucky for me the last 2 laps made up for my disappointing middle of the race. I hammered hard to the finish passing 3 guys and closing the gap to the forth guy. The last 2 laps I had speed and rhythm. I ended the day crossing the line in 50th. Happy with my performance but not satisfied! The rest of the Under 23 Canadians were all happy about the day!

After a long hard day of racing I dived in to the local cuisine and enjoyed 2 pizzas, beer and wine… wow did it all taste yummy.

The next day was the Pro Women’s and Pro Men’s race, It was cheering time! The rest of the Canadian Athletes spent the day cheering on Wendy, Kelly, Mike, Aaron and Osmond. They all had great rides!

Monday I toured Venice and checked out everything in the sinking city. Pretty cool place! Got to spend the day with Mom, Dad, Bill and Sonja… what an adventure!

Now I am home for a bit, time to rest, work and get ready for mountain bike season!

Cheers

KD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only the euros would get out of your way!!