Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ian Man-dawg Manning- The other brother who does not play Football

Ian Manning Interview

Ian has arrived in Italy and I thought it would be appropriate to give him the KD 10 question special. Little background on Ian: he likes long walks on the beach and candle light dinners… sometimes the sounds of the ocean. He rides for 3 Rox Racing for the cross season and is currently an employee for Starbucks and Milestone’s.

 

1)    Who is the man behind the sunglasses? Define yourself.

 I am a 21-year-old titan who enjoys a goodtime, and am going into my 3rd year of treating cycling professionally.

 

2)    Ian you arrived in Italy yesterday… is it what you dreamed it to be?

 Besides only sleeping for the last hour of traveling and not seeing much of the airport I was shocked on how warm it was when I stepped outside. It is a nice 10-15degrees difference then back home right now. Seeing the old downtown section of where we are staying in Treviso was incredible, its beautiful and just makes me eager to see more of Italy!

 

3)    This is your first time in Europe and first time racing outside North America is this one of your bucket list items? How so?

 Racing all over North America has been nice, but to finally step across the pond was always a dream of mine and now I am able to “check” that off and still plan to race over here much more.

 

4)    Racing for The National Team… pretty cool… I noticed when you put your new Canada race kit you starred at yourself for a while in the mirror. What was going though your head?

 Dang I make this look good…haha! But yeah I was always so glad the sizes were right.

 

5)    How did you get here? What do you think was the main reason you are going to take on the World in few days?

  Well after a season full of bad bounces in road I decided cyclo-cross was going to be different. Therefore making criteria from certain races and still pulling off a result at nationals after crashing with couple laps to go has allowed me the chance to be over here….and some good training with you buddy!

 

6) How will Worlds change you as a racer and person? Or will it?

I have been fortunate enough to race many highly categorized races all over North America competing against many world class cyclists But Worlds is in a class of its own, it brings the best out in you where you fight as hard as you can for that one day of the year.

 

7) What is your plan for World Championships?

 To bleed through my eyes from the pain of going past my capabilities that I know I can do.

 

8) What is the future plan for Ian Manning?    

Worlds is the last race of the season for me, I will go home and start to get ready for the upcoming season where I have to ride to what I am capable of good results.

 

9) What is the best advice someone has ever given you?

My mentor who owns a bike shop who I have worked for 9 years has raced all over Europe and has more knowledge then you can shake a stick at. He has constantly given advice to help steer me in the right direction. But what sticks out in the mind the most would be…”when you think you are going hard enough, go harder!”

 

10) Work hard now live the rest of your life as a champion… what is your opinion of that quote?

To me that means that you can not just slack and half ass everything, take everything     in stride and always give a memorable effort because you need to work hard to be a champion you do not just walk in the starlight.     




No comments: