Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ding, Ding

Today was an interesting day, I had a great feeling about the race, but was still feeling the tail end of the cold. The boat rocked both ways, mentally I was ready to rock, physically I was a little bit worried about the cold. Tara, Andrea (Shaun’s friend) and I jumped in the fun wagon and drove to the race venue. It was only about 1hr away, was not that bad. I was a little bit out of my head space when I arrived because I was having a hell of a time finding registration, the arrow did not point in the right direction, I found that out later! After a long search, I couldn’t sign in because my number wasn’t ready (look at picture). Yeah thats my name on the number! Once I settled and tackled the language barrier I settled in to a nice race mode. I got changed and started to check out a very sand course. It was an amazing course, lots of tricky sand pits…and super sketchy corners, yeah my cup of tea! I couldn’t find my groove right off the start but once I had a few times around and changed my tire pressure I could rail. At least I was going Kyle fast, but it wasn’t winner fast! Once I got back to the car I helped Mrs, Ross get ready for her race. As soon as she jumped on the trainer it just started to poor rain. It wouldn’t be racing in Belgium if you didn’t throw rain in to the mix. We did a frantic tire switch…it wasn’t that frantic but makes the situation seem intense. In the end we did a bad tire change and it ended up costing Tara, she took a spill and got a little mark on her knee. She ended up with a wicked ride crossing the line in 11th…Way to go! Now it was my turn to represent the fun wagon. Shaun and I did a warm up on the road and then did a few efforts. We both felt good, you may not know this, but we both are kind of a big deal…people know us! (we watched Anchorman!). I got a sweet call up…3rd row…yeah I was impressed! Not only did I get third row but fellow country man Greain and Shaun were on either side of me, watch out Belgium Canadian invasion! Back to the race…the start was hectic a whole pile of guys flying down a straight pavement section in to hard grass left then hard grass right…it had pile up written all over it, successfully the Canadians had some shake and bake up there sleeve and we made it threw! From this point on I can not really speak for Greg and Shaun’s race, but check out there Blogs at… http://crazyfast.squarespace.com/ http://sadamson.wordpress.com/. Me on the other hand had an amazing first lap, I moved up and had great pressure. I settled in to a great rhythm on the third lap I slowed down and 3 guys blazed past me. I was really worried about going to hard and pulling my cold in to my lungs. Then I remember: A) I was already going stupid hard…so keep going, B) I was in Belgium racing, so keep going and C) who cares, go harder… so that’s what I did and I ripped by the 3 guys. In the end I was super happy; it was a step up in my performance compared to my other races. In the end I place 31st, not to shabby! That was how my day unraveled!


Here are a few roads that I have been training on, Matt quote, "reminds me of Europe."



yeop thats a church in the middle of the road, and thats my bike!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a blast... i wanta race my bike.. or ride... maybe i will, hmm

Anonymous said...

Hey that was a good race, can hardly wait for France, bon jour
Maw

Zach said...

you just made my day with the canadians had a little bit of shake and bake up there sleeve.

Anonymous said...

Good job on placing 31st...keep up the hard work!!!

Fitz