Sunday, January 21, 2007

World Cup

I have to start off by saying the trip has been an eye opening experience, definitely learning a lot from each race!
The World Cup course was a very interesting course it had many elements that helped out every type of racer. It had tight muddy corners, pavement sections, technical down hills, for sure my favorite course so far. The whole day for me seemed to go smoother then the last couple of race days. First we had a Team Canada set up with trainers, tools, mechanics, helpers and most important a good group of athletes! Going to races on your own trying to find strangers to pit for you really effects you, it takes you away from focusing on the race. Neil organized everything and it really seemed to work well!
Now for the dirt on my race. I had a great warm up on the trainer, I felt great. The start to the race is always pretty intense. I have a really good UCI ranking so I get called up in the top 20, second row is pretty sweet. Niels Albert was right in front of me along with Zdenek Stybar (World Champion). The start was a fast road section for about 500m. Like every race it was crazy fast and hard. I kept the rubber side down and put the elbows out. I railed the first few corners and was sitting in the top 30, I found myself around a few Americans and Aaron my fellow Canadian! We tried to hold the wheels but the group we were in just had to much for us! We fell back to 40th place, that's where we both found a great groove. It worked out well that we were together, we just kept the pace and worked hard to close the gap on a group of 3 that was just 15 seconds up on us. On the second last lap I dropped my chain on this sketchy down hill and it cost me Aaron's wheel. I think we would have caught the group, the Canadian train was moving! Too bad for my small mechanical but we both seemed to have a lot better race then the past World Cup! That is pretty much how the race finished, big improvement for both of us.
Now Greg, Tara, Shaun, Aaron and I move to the Cycling Center to begin our prep for Worlds
6days!!!!

4 comments:

Tom said...

Nice race bro! Glad things are coming along well! You better be ready to give'r like Terry and Deaner next weekend!

Anonymous said...

Go Canada Go, see you all soon!!!

Maw

Matt Patterson said...

word up honkey

Anonymous said...

just freaking giver buddy canada is behind ya
haydn