Sunday, December 30, 2007

JEtLeG more like JeTMAn

Race number one: Check, done, fini, complete...

The common syndrome of traveling is the good old jet leg. Now as a firm believer of travel fatigue I would say I had my best day in europe (other then Worlds last year) today at Diegem Superprestige. I was looking at this race as a taste blood, legs cramp, blowout, with low expectations to clean out the winter blues kind of race. Lets just say all that happened in a 5 star fashion. I was super excited for this race, its by far my favorite course in Europe. It has many tech sections, lots of climbing and many drunk spectators pollute the streets, the perfect mix for a cloudy day of cross racing in Europe. I was just wanting to go out and have a happy day in the saddle, take it all back in! Last year I remember they missed my call up and I was sitting in last place. This year they did not forget and I got called up 8th... HUGE... I was actually a little disappointed, now hear me out. I wanted to just fly under the radar and start at the back, feel out the race legs. I didnt hesitate I rode up and placed my self on the far outside. Starting a race in Europe is a mix of insanity and crazy high speeds, my middle name is insanity and crazy high speed... so right up my alley. I hammered off the start and just tried to sit on as many wheels as possible. The thing is these guys move forward and you move back there is no other way to explain it. I just kept the speed up and danced on my pedals. Around the second or third lap fellow Canadian Shaun Adamson pulled things together and put a sweet pass on me (big ups bro)  and was setting a mean pace. I couldn't resist to jump on his wheel and hammer it out. I was just hanging on to his wheel for the next lap, he was riding super smart so I wanted to put myself with him. The next lap the cycling Gods felt like giving me a boost and I franticly screamed up this muddy hill putting a gap on the little group I was in. I think Shaun went for it as well but he could not get the last 15-20ft... and in cross thats the dead zone. Shaun ended up finishing strong to my knowledge. Anyways back to my race. I ended up catching a group of five guys, which had 2 Americans in it. Perfect so I thought, chill here and fight to the death. We kept chilled for about a lap and then came the speed bursts by the Euros, then followed by an attack by the Americans. Gotta be KD... so I hit the gas and unleashed the lumberjack within and put the attack on, we ended up catching a guy and dropping a guy so it was a win lose situation. Now at this point I had 2 laps to go. The worst feeling if you have nothing left. Your thought process goes from alright I can do this to... earmuffs mom... f%$@...but at that moment a line from Rocky 6 came in to my head and it carried me to the finish... 
I think I was in the top 50... hahaha good race... top 50... if you have a problem with it fly to Belgium and we can discuss it over a cup of finger extra strong coffee...to the face

After my race I grabbed a bite to eat and got out of my muddy uniform. I was moving quickly only because I had to pit for Molly my American roommate. Molly had a sweet race in my opinon... let me ask... in his words... "eff yeah, I had fun, didn't get a result because of my flat but I had fun!!!" from the champ himself.

Anyways I will rest tomorrow and then do back to back races on Jan 1st and Jan 2nd

stay tuned,

KD
" the road may be bumpy... so ride a cross bike"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kyle
Didn't get the chance to say good-bye, good luck, ride hard, wash behind your ears, have a great time, don't forget to brush your teeth, stay clean ha ha and lastly keep writing, your stories are great.

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Don't party too hard cause race day is not far away and you want to make those riders pay.

Good Luck and have fun in the muck!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kyle, it sounds like you had a pretty good day...looking forward to more race course updates...stay as healthy as you can...

momma dukes (ear muffs included) xxoo

Anonymous said...

Awesome write up on the race Kyle! Can't wait to see you in action once again and cheer from the side lines!
Keep the reports coming and keep safe.

Sonja and the Fam

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun race man awesome result too nice job looks like your prayers to the cyclist gods is working... that or you trained your a$$ off, one or the other haha
haydn

Anonymous said...

hey buddy...way to go in the race! I guess you are racing today..happy new year! good luck! lovin the blogging..miss ya...lawson says, "love ya old balls!" the dougys